Sunday, April 12, 2009

How to Find Somebody You Don't Know


For Junior Theme, it's hard enough to think of the perfect question. Then, once you have that (which is taking me forever!), you have to find a book on your topic. When you and a librarian spend a period searching for a book but can't find one, then you know you're in trouble. This has been my road to Junior Theme so far. Sounds awesome, right? Now, I have to write an intro paragraph for my paper, but where do I start? I have 3 textbooks on movie's, ratings, and the Hay's Code, but without a book, how do I write a paper? Also, I haven't had my interview yet. So do I put it in my intro later? How do you find a movie critic? I'm sure Ebert would love to take time out of his day and talk with a highschool student on the latest movies. Where do I begin looking for people who know things about the movie rating system?

2 comments:

andrea said...

Madeline, ive had trouble with this too... my topic is the obsession with physical appearances of females in America. You have to start by just looking at the authors of articles that you have found during your research time. You already know that they can provide you with good information because they have already in your research. Try typing their name into google + "contact info" or "email" sometimes it will come up. I have emailed a few people who I don't even know if they have the knowledge to answer questions I have, but if they email back then that is an option. I am struggling to find people too, just keep researching, something will come up im sure.

Judy Gressel said...

Madeline,
This book is quite well reviewed:Freedom and Entertainment: Rating the Movies in an Age of New Media

Richard Vaughn's account of the development of the American movie rating system situates contemporary cinema within the turbulent context of the history of censorship, America's cultural wars, and the impact of new technologies that have transformed entertainment. Based on the private papers and oral history of Richard D. Heffner, who headed MPAA's Classification and Rating Administration for two decades, from 1974 to 1994, it chronicles the often tense working relationship between Heffner and Jack Valenti, the long-standing currently 83 year old President and Chief Executive of the Motion Picture Association of America. It also documents the sometimes bruising encounters Heffner had with such Hollywood heavyweights as Clint Eastwood, Oliver Stone, Michael Douglas, George C. Scott, Lew Wasserman, Arthur Krim, Jerry Weintraub, and many others. Heffner's memoirs reveal the conflicted behind-the-scenes history of the American movie rating system from the perspective of a man once called "the least-known most powerful person in Hollywood".

Have you looked at the MPAA - Motion Picture Assoc. of America?
http://www.mpaa.org/FilmRatings.asp

seek us out for more help.